There are several kinds of infertility problems today. During the natural procedure of intercourse, the sperm has to pass through the cervix and then into the uterus for fertilization. pregnancy chances are reduced in some cases. This fertility treatment involves injecting sperm directly into the uterus and eliminates the problem of less amount of sperm entering the womb.
Intrauterine insemination (IUI) treatment is a popularly known method of infertility treatment. It is commonly referred to as Artificial insemination (AI). This method treatment is comparatively uncomplicated than a few of the other methods like In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) or Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI). IUI may or may not involve the utilization of fertility drugs.
Who should go for IUI?
Intrauterine insemination is a highly accepted and preferred treatment option for many medical professionals and individuals suffering from infertility. However, it is mainly proven successful for some particular cases of infertility
- Infertility due to “male factor”
- Problems related to the cervical mucus
- Unexplained or idiopathic infertility
- If infertility cannot be treated with medications
- When donor sperm is being used
- Presence of cervical scar tissue is detected which makes the entrance of sperm difficult
- Sexual dysfunctions in individuals especially male
How is IUI done?
The Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) is a much-unsophisticated procedure and it takes very less time relatively.
- IUI is done at the time when the woman is ovulating
- The sperm sample of the father or donor sperm is collected.
- The semen goes through a special process of “washing” to attain only the concentrated part, which is required for transfer. This process takes up to 2 hours to complete
- Once the sperm sample is ready the woman is kept under examination
- A small thin tube –“catheter” is placed in the woman’s cervix.
- The seminal sample which was “washed” and prepared is now directly transferred into the uterus by means of the catheter
- The process is complete on the removal of the catheter
Times to wait for pregnancy after IUI
It usually takes 10-14 days post-IUI treatment process to expect a positive pregnancy result. Although you will be under regular monitoring and check-up by your doctor. Your doctor will also prescribe you certain medications during the waiting time.
It can be a very stressful and anxious situation during the 10-14 days longs wait period. You must take good care of yourself at this time.
Some tips for the waiting period
- Eat well
- Take enough rest
- Try alternative physical activities like gardening, light yoga, and meditation
- Do not indulge in harsh physical activities
- Eat fresh fruits and green vegetables
- Engage in stress management techniques
Chances of your IUI to work
According to a survey in India “The chances of getting pregnant are 10%-20% with single IUI cycle but can be increased to as high as 80% with 3 to 6 cycles of IUI”
Although the success of Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) varies from patient to patient, it is as successful as normal pregnancies. The successful completion of the treatment also depends on factors like age and causes of infertility.
Advantages of IUI
- Increases the quality of sperm through the washing procedure
- Less expensive than other treatment methods
- Takes less time comparatively
- Least side effects and harm to the body
- High chances of success
Your infertility issues are not as big as you think. Before stressing way too much think about the various quick and effective treatment methods available today. Talk to the doctor at the right time and prevent the situations from worsening.
Choose the right fertility specialist and experience the joy of healthy parenthood.