Did you know that 30% of infertility is related to problems with the male partner? Male factor infertility is diagnosed by finding a low sperm count on a semen analysis technique. Millions of sperm have to be produced by testicles to move through the womans reproductive tract to reach and fertilize her egg a baby. So if your partner has a low sperm count can you still get pregnant? In this blog, we discuss all the sperm motility along with its effect on fertility! Let's begin: The INSIGHT ON THE PROCESS OF PREGNANCY!! Below we have discussed it-
- The man usually ejaculates the sperm near the cervical canal of a woman during the intercourse.
- Then sperm has to move through the cervical canal into the uterus and traverse it to reach the fallopian tube where the egg will be waiting for it to be fertilized.
- Moreover, the sperm must be able to move into the ovum for the fertilization to be complete.
Therefore, it can be easy concluded that sperm motility is one of the most important factors to be blessed with a baby.
What is sperm motility?
Sperm motility refers to the capability of the sperm to move forward towards the ovum. Normally a 'healthy sperm' of a man should be able to move forward at the rate of at least 25 micrometers/ second. However, if the sperm does not move at this normal rate, the condition is termed as asthenozoospermia. There are 2 types of sperm motility-
- Progressive motility: sperm are swimming in a mostly straight line
- Non-progressive motility: sperm are swimming in very tight circles
How does motility affect Pregnancy?
Everyone knows that the sperm has to reach the ovum and fuse with it for the pregnancy to happen. So, sperm should be motile enough to reach the ovum. In the case of low sperm motility, the sperm does not swim well and dies before they reach the ovum. And couples are left unable to conceive. 'Getting pregnant is one of the hardest things when you really want to have a baby.'
Causes of low motility!!
The causes of low sperm motility vary such as-
- Damage to the testicles can impact on the quality of sperm.
- Infection in testis
- Testicular cancer
- Testicular surgery
- Undescended testicles
- Long-term use of anabolic steroids
- Drugs, such as cannabis and cocaine can also affect semen quality.
How does it affect fertility?
'Around 60 to 80 million couples are excluded from the worship of a baby due to infertility.' Low sperm motility means that the sperm will probably not reach the ovum for the fertilization. It is one of the leading cause of infertility among males who are trying to conceive.
How Can Low Sperm Motility Be Diagnosed?
The best way to diagnose the sperm motility is semen analysis. It follows-
- You have to provide at least 2 samples of your semen to the doctor to analyze the sperm.
- The sperm can be provided either via masturbation or can be withdrawn it from a used condom.
- Then the samples need to be handled carefully and need to be kept at room temperature.
- After that, you have to deliver it within an hour to the office where the test is to be conducted.
If the percentage of the motile sperm is less than 32%, you considered having low sperm motility.
Medical Procedures to Treat Low Sperm Motility
Poor sperm motility can lead to male infertility, but treatments are also available which include- 1. Intrauterine insemination (IUI): In this procedure, sperm is being collected and washed. Then the fastest moving sperm is inserted into the womb using a fine plastic tube. 2. In vitro fertilization (IVF): In this case, the woman is given medication to encourage the production of eggs and removed from the ovaries to be fertilized with sperm in the laboratory. The resulting embryo is then returned to the womb of the mother to develop. 3. Sperm donation: A couple wanting to have a baby may be able to receive a sperm donation from a donor for use in an IVF procedure. Tensed about the medical procedure? Don't be!
There Are Natural Ways Too -
Some lifestyle changes may help increase sperm motility for men, such as-
- Exercise regularly
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Limit electronic gadgets' exposure
- Reduce alcohol
- Quit smoking
You also need to keep a watch on your daily lifestyle if you want to become a father soon. If you still encounter a few problems after trying all those changes, you should get the advice of a doctor! Be smart! 'Maintain your lifestyle when it matters the most'